With Autumn and Winter approaching, it’s time for us to switch wardrobes. That being said, if your on a budget, yet looking to add style and zest to your closet, I suggest the following.
- Carry basic colored plain shirts (white, black, gray, and a couple of bold colors). Shop at Target or any other department stores for cost saving plain tees.
- Scarves… Instead of spending much money on design tees, scarves and accessories are great design pieces that can be used over and over on top of your basic colored shirts.
- A coat, sweater and pair of boots make for a great investment.
Summer…. A season that brings out the glow in our skin… The highlights of our hair… The sun phsyically and mentally brightens us up. All of a sudden Autumn and Winter brings a gust of coldness that may shower the atmosphere with a bit of romance, but the lack of sun and heat can turn our Summer glow into dryness.
5 tips to avoid Autumn and Winter dryness:
1. Moisturize – look for “nonclogging” oils, like avocado oil, mineral oil, primrose oil, or almond oil. Shea oil — or butter — is controversial, because it can clog facial pores. You can also look for lotions containing “humectants,” a class of substances (including glycerine, sorbitol, and alpha-hydroxy acids) that attract moisture to your skin.
2. Apply Sunscreen
3. Dress Warmly- the heat will provide your skin protection from the dry coldness. Wear gloves, socks, sweaters, layers.
4. Hydrate your health- drink water. Eat your fruits and vegetables.
5. Contrast baths- taking an intense heated shower can easily help open your pores and rid the body of dirt. It also makes all your organs and skin feel relaxed. After, for about 30 seconds, switch the water to a cold temperature. The cold temperature will tighten your skin, create smaller pores, and increase blood flow circulation.
Upon my visit home, my father and I had made use of this Labor Day weekend and visited the Museum of Science. To our pleasant surprise, a show was being held called, “Undiscovered Worlds: The Search Beyond Our Sun”.
The show explores exoplanets — the hundreds of ‘planets’ that have been found orbiting stars beyond the Sun. This recent discovery teaches us that we are not alone in the universe, and we must redefine our understanding of our life relative to the many galaxies and life beyond us.
The show was well made. It was as if we were taking a trip through the galaxy and beyond; absolutely breath-taking.
We left the show pondering the idea that God has created infinite possibilities beyond our wildest imagination.. Yet just as God has created infinite wonder beyond us, if we look deep within our ourselves, we will find that the complexity of our existence is relative to the Galaxies before us.
“Your sickness is within you, though you do not realize
And your cure is within, yet you do not see
You claim that you are nothing but a tiny entity
Yet wrapped up inside of you is the greatest universe
You are the clear book, through whose letters
All that is secret is revealed and made known.
So you have no need for anything outside of you
Your consciousness is within you, though you do not know.”
1. Open, Honest, and Real– If there is no honesty or confidence, the friendship is shallow and is susceptible to distrust and gossip.
2. Build on Commonalities, learn from differences.
3. Quality Dialogue- Common discussion does not evolve around gossip, but on matters of appreciation and expression.
4. Genuine– There is an interest in others beyond yourself.
5. Loyalty- The name’s of friends are protected
6. Be Positive- A friendship’s essence is support and hope… Both should revolve around a positive vibe.
I often fantasize about my ideal home.. Nothing extravagant, but a practical abode that serves the purpose for “where the heart is”. A home should serve as a peaceful haven. That being said, I’d love to include a small home spa room… Below are some inspiring designs:
For those who are like me and like to keep things on a budget, the spa treatment can be experienced at any cost by doing the following:
- Disconnect: No electronic devices…. Relax in a warm bath.
- Music: If you are to play music, play light instrumental.
- Candles: Scented if need be.
- Bath Products: Body scrubs and oil
- After Tub Care: Take the time to massage with the right lotion.
- DON’T RUSH IT! The goal is : RELAXATION