Big Ideas come when “you” are able to get in touch with your creativity, whether it’s artistic, aesthetic, or a response to market needs. Often, creativity is misunderstood as an exceptional gift that some people have and some people don’t. Creativity is a tool available to anyone who understands its components. Through a series of appreciation and practice, people can learn how to actively seek the characteristics and environments that foster creativity and avoid the factors that inhibit it.
The other day, my father had told me- when he was a very young boy growing up in Rasul Nagar, a remote village in Punjab, Pakistan, he and his friends use to build miniature trains… Not just any ordinary train, but wired miniature trains on tracks. My father surrounded himself with other curious young minds, and together his friends built what they thought was near to impossible. Bare in mind, during that time, many parts of Rasul Nagar did not have electricity.
Now a days, six-year olds are too busy carrying digital devices as a source of information and entertainment. Can you believe, the media industry is buying-out our time and our minds?!?
We must avoid succumbing to robotic behavior. Promote and challenge one another to think of the unthinkable. Challenge our skills through our beautiful minds. After all, the creation of BIG IDEAS are initiated through the imagination.
Ways to exercise creativity can be found through so many different techniques, here are a few mental exercises:
1. Appreciate nature and the universe. The natural beauty around us inspire our minds to think colorfully.
2. Appreciate Interior Design and Architecture. Think of it this way, your living space is a reflection of your personality. It doesn’t take a big budget to live in a beautiful home… With a creative imagination, ‘you’ can make any area into a beautiful living space- based on your beautiful personality and ideas. It’s all about calculating your surroundings and revamping with the colors of your imagination.
3. Fashion. Once again, you don’t have to be rich or high maintenance to appreciate a good sense of style. Style involves color (or lack of), shapes, personality, the walk & talk. Fashion is an expression and a commodity.
4. Art. Art is everywhere. Art is interpretation.
5. Think optimistically and don’t restrict yourself by saying “it’s not possible”.