A few posts ago, I had talked about the importance of faith and God in order to relieve anxiety. Yesterday, as I sat with my sisters in our lovely apartment; the smell of our scented candles reminded me of a few other things.
Sharing space and living on your own are two pretty challenging yet liberating situations. Between financing, communicating, and maintaining a relaxing lifestyle, “we” naturally begin to explore the things that make it all worth it.
1. Creating a simple touch of feng shui in your personal living space:
- I can’t stress how important it is; your living space is a reflection of you. How you furnish your home not only reflects your style, but it influences your state of mind.
- Creating a feng shui environment shouldn’t be expensive. Focus on the simple factors that can make all the difference; such as, colors in a room. For us, we figured warm colors in the living area, bedroom & kitchen, ; light colors in the bathroom set a relaxing tone…. Our overall colour scheme: Beige, off-white, and maroon-setting a classy and romantic tone. Not to mention, it goes with the Fall, Winter, and Summer.
- We keep family pictures and home-made paintings on our walls. The style is truly authentic, truly personal, and truly cost-efficient.
- Less seats more pillows.
- The key to peace, is a LESS CLUTTERING MESS.
- On that note, your life becomes easier to live when everything from your clothes to your mail is organized- easy to find.
- Bathroom and kitchen.. Are the top two priorities in cleanliness.
- Counter-tops, sink-tops, desk-tops have to be clean and spacious.
- Our fire place is closed off, but that doesn’t mean the fire has to be. Occasionally, at night, we will light scented candles around the apartment.
Additional Tips to relax:
- Never underestimate the importance to DIM light at night time.
- Windows give a room a natural light… The longer and wider, the better… Just avoid any extremes.
2. The scent of a haven:
- The smell of home effects your body odor, and your sleep.
- We dread smelling like onions, gharam masala, or garlic/ginger. By smelling good, it’s important to keep the ventilation at home good. Whether it is by having something installed or simply keeping the windows open during cooking; both are important. I found that sprays, whether it’s Fabreeze or Victoria Secrets body; lightly spraying the furniture on a daily basis, keeps everything smelling fresh and clean. Washing your towels and bed sheets should be done on a weekly and monthly basis.
3. Schedule for the day:
Life should be lived, not planned… But, having daily habits can help motivate ambition through out the day….
Although God has blessed me with an unpredictable life, I have been able to give structure to my days. Here’s what get me through the days..
- light breakfast;
- Walk to work.
- Lunch break; prayer; coffee; reboot to work.
- Yoga/ dance, swimming; OR in the spring/summer time enjoy some out door soccer…. Believe it or not, along with being a great work out; sports play a great roll in stress relief.
- Cook Dinner. Reading, a little tv, or painting. Pay bills to the sound of music. End the day with Prayer .