I’ve always pride myself on being a simpleton. Others could claim the same thing.
On the flip-side, I’ve met people who have admitted living a high-maintenance lifestyle, yet they can get ready in 5 minutes. I’ve met people who have claimed that they are a simpleton- wearing the same clothes every other day- yet they decorate their words with lavish language while excusing themselves for a glass of wine. Have the terms “simpleton” and “high maintenance” become word-usage for the lazy? Words such as “terrorism”, “beautiful”, “simple”, “high maintenance” can all have counter meanings depending on one’s perspectual reality.
Definition of being simple: Freedom from excessive attachment to material.
Definition of high maintenance: Expensive and high level of attention to self and material.
Here I stand, a woman who is proud to have:
- refused to update my “mobile” phone, because I feel no need to include additional applications into a device that’s only use is to verbally contact (or quickly text).
- recently, forced myself to buy blouse’s for three different interviews … I ended up spending 30 dollars at Ann Taylor… But before shopping for those interviews, I don’t remember the last time I shopped for clothes.
- will prefer to cook dinner instead of eating out.
- I currently sleep on the couch at my apartment, and use a quarter of the closet space for my clothes. The way I see it, the less I store and own, the easier it is to move (literally and figuratively).
- I’ve never got my nails done.
- For the first time, I colored my hair at age 28.
On the flip side:
- What use to take me 10 minutes in the shower… Now takes me.. Well, I don’t know exactly how long… But it now takes about 30 minutes to get ready.
- love wearing eye-liner (kajal), powder, and perfume.
- am not an avid buyer… BUT, I love a good sense in fashion and art.
- am addicted to Ice Coffee.
- clean whenever I can.
- need my alone time to exercise.
- love my Mac laptop.
- I need my daily dose of BBC News, and I still find myself addicted to watching old episodes of “Sex and the City” and will occasionally watch “Keeping Up With the Kardashians”.. I claim it’s for purpose of humor, but who knows.
- am frequently blogging or facebooking.
So as I look back at this list… I wonder to myself… Am I as simple as I claim to be? My opinion, I think all to often “we all” claim to be something… But if we read into all of our actions, most likely “we” will discover that “we” are….to some degree….walking contradictions.